Monday, October 4, 2010

The bucket list has arrived!

So after much anticipation on my part, I received the Bucket List today. It is amazing to me how much you can learn about a person through something like a bucket list. However, I don't want to get ahead of myself here. Not everyone may know what a "Bucket List" is...

A Bucket List is basically a list of all the things you want to do before you die, or "kick the bucket." This concept was made popular by Morgan Freeman and Jack Nicholson in the 2007 movie of the same title directed by Rob Reiner. You can check out the theatrical trailer here. If you haven't already, I highly recommend watching this movie. Especially if you continue to follow us along our adventures. One thing about me, I love movies! I think many great stories are told through movies, I tend to view life through this lens at times. Everyone has a story (a little shout out to Don Miller there). But I digress.


My mom has written her bucket list and it is from here that we begin our adventures. I have no idea how all this is going to happen or how it will all be provided for. But I do know this, God is a loving God, full of goodness and mercy. He wants to give His children good gifts when we put Him first. I have seen my mother put the Lord first in her life and I know that this is no different. We are starting this adventure by committing it all to Him (Prov 16:3). It is by His will that my mom spends another day here on earth. It always has been and always will be so.


I know that there are several different ways of dealing with death. Some say not to give up hope, that God is the healer. Yes, He is. Some say that she can live a long and healthy life just like someone else they knew who had cancer. Yes, she could. Some say that it's a great idea for us to do this together and share it with everyone else. Yes, I think it is.


These are all true statements and we have taken every one of them to heart. God alone knows the day that my mom will die, whether it is is 6 months or 6 years (James 4:14). We do this list not to just accept death, but we are doing it to live life!


I encourage you to do one thing after reading this. What is your bucket list? If you were going to die, what would you spend your last year doing? There is no right answer to this question and we would love to hear some of your thoughts. Please feel free to post your comments here!


Wanda's Bucket List:

1.       Visit Scotland
2.       Eat a whole Marie Calendars Pie
3.       Visit a Castle
4.       Stay on a Houseboat
5.       Ride in a hot air balloon
6.       Stay in beach house
7.       Take an all girls trip
8.       Do something outrageous (more to come on this!)
9.       Drive sports car
10.     Visit the New England area
11.     Have a night out in a Limo


3 comments:

  1. What a great list, Wanda! I'm sure we can take care of a few of these here in Europe. I'm looking forward to experiencing life with you - and you've already given me a lot to think about and we haven't even met yet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good news about the clinical trial at the City of Hope! I sincerely pray that all goes well! Love you, Wanda!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Sylvia! They have truly been wonderful people and my mom is so full of hope, it is shining through to everyone who knows her. My sincere gratitude to City of Hope!

    ReplyDelete