Tuesday, October 12, 2010

A bend in our road

When my family began this journey, we acknowledged that we have no control over what the future would hold for my mom's final months and it seems we have met with our first bend in the road. 


Last night, my mom received a phone call from her Oncologist to inform her that her most recent PET scan results show that the cancer has spread to her femur bone, a rib bone, the L4 lumbar (spine) as well as continuing to grow in her chest bone. I regret to share with you all that my mom is losing the physical battle with her breast cancer. 



In addition to her prognosis, Her doctor instructed her that under no circumstances should she ever set foot on a plane again. That information barely registered with me as I sunk down on my bed to listen to my mom tell me that she was that much closer to the end. We both struggled not to give up our joy and by sheer will, focused on Him and His blessings in our lives. 

My dear friends, as I woke up this morning He reminded me of His promise to us, "Through the Lords’s mercies we are not consumed, Because His compassions fail not. They are new every morning; Great is Your faithfulness." (Lamentations 3:22-23) God is good all the time!



Tonight, as I update you, I have had the past 24 hours to reflect on my thoughts and feelings. I have taken all of this to God and prayed for His will to be done and He reminded me of this... the cancer cannot win! 


That's right! The cancer CANNOT WIN! Remember this one thing and believe on it with all of your heart: 


We have eternal life in Jesus Christ! 

This is not a slogan or an empty promise, if you believe on Him then you will never die! (John 11:26) Let me repeat myself unless you think I cut and pasted these words from some self-help website... here it goes, IF YOU BELIEVE ON HIM THEN YOU WILL NEVER DIE!


Wow! That felt good didn't it? And now with my usual flare for the dramatic, I say back to the Cancer, "Oh death where is your sting, oh grave where is your victory!" (1 Cor 15:55) I still believe and pray that God can fully heal my mom, but I am surrendered to His will and will praise Him every day. 


I am writing to tell you that our family will continue with the rest of the bucket list! There is no particular order to how we will accomplish these things but a few of them are already in order and I will begin planning the next one very soon! (you want to know what it is don't you?).


I hope this blog is a blessing to anyone who has or is struggling with cancer in themselves or a loved one. I am deeply touched by all the phone calls and emails I have received by people who have been inspired by our faith and our journey.


My final thought on my mom's cancelled trip to Europe is this...


If my mom cannot go to Scotland, then Scotland will just have to come to my mom! 


(We will talk soon my friends)

3 comments:

  1. I must admit, I've never wished for death - but the more I have come to know Christ, I have moments of such keen longing to be with Him in Heaven. That your Mother is on the "home stretch" to being with Our Lord and Savior makes me happy in the eternal sense, while still being sad for those who will be without her physical presence here on Earth. Love and Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cancer comes in many forms. If you look at it as a negative entity that aims at destroying life, you realize that we are in a constant battle with cancer because death, Satan and his demons never rest. For some of us this battle is taken to the cellular level when you receive a medical diagnosis like Wanda; for others, the battle rages on in our minds and hearts. The miracle to celebrate is that when the battle looks lost, through Christ we will never be defeated. I cannot thank you enough for sharing your faith and the love that you have in your family. There is much cancer in my life and I cling to the truth of knowing that, like you said, cancer will not win.

    ReplyDelete